[consulting] consulting Digest, Vol 62, Issue 5

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 22 02:54:08 UTC 2011

You got it right, Kelly.

I didn't say anything at the time, but in addition to what you pointed out, they
want three references too? If you have three references, you are not likely to
take it on unless you are a supporter. As one who occasionally does things like
that, I can definitely agree that they are asking for the moon there. It would
almost be better to ask for a volunteer and then later offer them the $1,000 as
a token of appreciation.

Cheap does not always suck. There are some newer Drupallers who are seeking to
build a portfolio, but they aren't going to have three references - or likely
the experience level. But then, this is a pretty big early-career project.

So they either need to lighten up on the requirements or timeline, or pay for
what they need. Unless they get lucky and find out someone like Earl is a big
fan of their site and want to do it for fun.

Nancy

________________________________

From: Gotham City Drupal
I feel obliged to comment here, you most definitely ARE asking a LOT for $1K. I
have to ask - when people post "jobs" like this - how on earth do people think
developers can make a living doing 6 weeks of work for $1,000? This project is
not an upgrade. It's a complete rebuild and migration with complete re-themeing
involved. There is no discussion about this. Read the upgrade recommendations
docs on Drupal.org. Even 6->7 is most often a rebuild.

Your only hope is to find someone who does Drupal for fun in their spare time
and/or is financially independent ... And none of these are a guarantee of
quality.

I don't mean to flame, but I'm so tired of people asking for everything for
nothing. It's like people think our skills are worthless. For every client who
secretly thinks this is true (and hires a student, or takes the job to India, or
whatever), it takes them living through a complete disaster to realize that
cheap = suck. Period.

Kelly Bell