[consulting] JOB: Contract Drupal developer for motorcycle community site

netsperience rgoya at netsperience.org
Wed Mar 23 04:34:18 UTC 2011

> I can't believe that any drupal expert would work for $5/hr. If
> they're contributing quality code (and thus regular internet access)
> then it doesn't matter where they are, they can get paid 10x that.
Alex,

You would not find a professional developer working for $5/hour here in
the US - but I imagine my Vietnamese pal gets to pick his projects with
the ability to underbid nearly everybody else while still supporting a
superior standard of living. There may be social or cultural reasons for
him not exceeding the standard by much, I don't know. Long ago I stopped
trying to compete on international job markets like Guru.com because I
was unwilling to lower my rates to compete.

So if he or Gloscon in India can deliver good work at competitive rates
- more power to them! I think there is enough Drupal work to go around,
with many clients in the US and EU still preferring to work with someone
local at local rates.

I actually forwarded the motorcycle community site job to a pal who
needs to develop a broader portfolio - sometimes people have reasons
beyond money to work on projects. I volunteer my services for several
projects each year, just because I can make a difference for causes and
communities that I care about, and who could not afford to pay me.

FWIW my experiences so far with offshore Drupal devs has been
disappointing. Even the ones who can talk the talk still do things
"wrong" - but perhaps less "wrong" than I observed two years ago when I
began testing the waters of offshore team management. I am in the
process of developing a plan with a solid .NET and Flash dev company in
India I have worked with successfully for a couple of years, to get $.5M
(a lot of rupees) to train and manage a team of developers. I talked to
some Angels who sneered that building a company that generates rapidly
growing profits is a "lifestyle choice" without an exit plan for them -
so we are going after some local (Indian) funding.

I recently consulted my way out of a job, when I advised that most of my
client's goals can be achieved with Drupal Commons out of the box, they
axed me after a week to finish the project with their dedicated offshore
team I was hired to manage (God help them!)

Randall Goya (decibel.places) http://netsperience.org