[consulting] .. .. Clients

James R Stone fndtn357 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:50:06 UTC 2012

I really want to respond to your latest post:

I was only joking when I suggested to charge 400 Yen for a half hour
> job, which is normally 50. But the above two responses are what I had
> in mind. I'm not interested to cheat anyone, but I know that with my
> clients, different ones are willing to pay different prices. I have
> one who has repeatedly tried to find a cheaper consultant (and I would
> be fine if she did) but she always ends up coming back to me. She
> likes how I work and I think that most folks find her annoying to work
> with, so the fact that I tolerate her probably makes her happy also.
> So she sends 5-10 minute tasks every few days and I charge her for a
> quarter hour each time. But I also know that I can't raise my rate
> with her as she thinks it's really high as it is.
> But I have other clients who are more professional in their approach
> and they have more difficult work and they are happy to pay a higher
> rate.
> The client I wrote about initially are nice people, but know nothing
> about computers, and the work is sort of boring and sometimes annoying
> (if I'm in the middle of other things) so to charge them 100 Yen for
> what will take me a half hour I think is fine. They won't mind to pay
> 100 because they got the edits they wanted for their site and it's
> entirely reasonable that the work is worth 100 Yen. Could be it would
> take someone else 2 hours, if it was their first time using Drupal.
> And were they to find another person who would do it for 50 Yen, I
> wouldn't be upset. :)

When I first read your initial post and the beginning replies I started
deleting the emails before I read them. The title really threw me off.
Personally, I wouldn't have titled it like that in such a public forum but
---
your last post was very reasonable and understandable. I have several
different types of clients and have staggered my fees for similar jobs
based on the client's perception of best value. Calling my clients "stupid"
or using the word "gouging" puts a very inappropriate twist in my mind, I
might think it and say it once in awhile but I try not to dwell too long on
it because I have years of training in a field they care to know nothing
about. "Please consultant just do for me what I cannot do but wish I could.
(or not)"

--
Best Regards,
James R Stone
fndtn357 at gmail.com
216.647.0335 office
216.712.5492 mobile

"The skill of coding is to create a context in which other people can
contribute."