[consulting] RFP or RFQ?

Rob Fiegener rpfiegener at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 00:00:42 UTC 2012

Hello --
I need some help building a site, and don't want to waste a bunch of
everyone's time with a bulky RFP.  I see website development as more
of a process than a product, and I'm looking for someone I can work
well with.
I feel like my project is pretty straight-forward (with a few twists)
and well suited to an experienced freelancer or small shop.  I don’t
want a big firm with excessive overhead and project management.  I’d
like to have a direct relationship with a developer who I can talk to
and work with.  More agile than waterfall.
So what's the best way of getting that?  My project is a re-design, so
a lot of the desired features/functions are pretty well defined (but
I'm open to input).  Doing separate discovery & development processes
seems inefficient.  Finding someone at freelancer.com or odesk feels
sketchy (but cheap!).
I haven't seen many RFQs (qualifications) for Drupal, but this seems
like a good way of proceeding while respecting the time of the
responding consultants.  How much detail is appropriate to ask for?
I appreciate whatever suggestions or feedback you can offer.
Cheers,
  Rob