[consulting] Responsibility for Mistakes

Christian Pearce pearcec at xforty.com
Wed Mar 21 18:14:03 UTC 2012

----- "Shai Gluskin" <shai at content2zero.com> wrote:
> [...]

Here is the first issue. I always tell customers to budget money for fixes, support and enhancements. If they don't it is at their own peril.

> Questions I need help with:

    1. Would you charge them for the full 4.75 hours?

You should explain to them you spent 4+ hours helping them. But do realize the documentation wasn't perfect so offer to meet them halfway. It sounds unlikely they will have more work for you in the future anyway. So I would expect not to get paid. But you did the right them. You helped them out. You can offer to hold the invoice until there is money in the future as well.

    1. If you would provide a discount, how much off would you take?
    2. What tone or approach would you take when discussing this with the client?
    3. I find, as a solo practitioner, it is hard for me to "proofread" my work... and clients are so tight on their budgets. Anybody have ideas about how I can improve my quality control?
    4. >

You should explain it was an honest mistake and that you did proof read it.

Also note, I really like a lot about this client and want to keep the business, even though I'm frustrated that they don't have more skilled people managing the web site.

Thanks so much for reading and if you have any thoughts, for sharing.

Sincerely,

Shai Gluskin

Content2zero Web Development

xforty technologies