[consulting] Question about using Drupal for large searchable database

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Tue May 1 13:25:56 UTC 2012

This list has sure gone quiet lately.  Is everyone just so busy with work?

(Sorry if this isn't the place to ask this.  If anyone knows a better
place, please advise. )

A client of mine with a Drupal site I inherited wants to bring in a very
large database into their site.  It's basically over 200,000
genealogical/cemetery records that need to be searchable by users.   I'm
struggling over whether to do it (1) as a custom module, with it's own
separate database or (2) to do it with views/content type and node import.
The client also needs to be able to edit the records through the site.

The latter approach would be quicker to set up, but I worry that it would
bloat the site, potentially cause performance issues, and perhaps other
problems I'm not thinking about.

It's a D6 site for a relatively small nonprofit without a lot of traffic.

How would you handle it?  Custom module or content type/Views?

Thanks,
Sam

Sam Cohen, Principal
New Media Solutions <http://new-media-solutions.com>