[consulting] AWS Elastic Beanstalk

Frederic G. MARAND fgm at osinet.fr
Mon Aug 18 09:17:47 UTC 2014

I would say the main gotcha is that adding web server instances won't
really help you scale user /sessions/ and that's mostly what Elastic
Beanstalk is about. You would need to be able to increase the CPU level
of your existing web server instances and, probably more importantly,
increase the throughput of your RDS instance while keeping the data,
assuming you are using RDS.

The most cost-efficient way of doing this, of course, is dropping the
anonymous sessions entirely so they can be served from cache (eg
Varnish) or Cloudfront, leaving only the remaining 10k plus some cache
misses to be actually served by Drupal.