[drupal-devel] CVS question: Multiple branch tags on a module

Jim Riggs drupal-lists at jimandlissa.com
Tue Apr 12 20:57:44 UTC 2005

On 12 Apr, 2005, at 15:45, Syscrusher wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 April 2005 15:46, Jim Riggs wrote:
>
>> You will never tag again.  You only tag files once.  Keep a copy
>> checked out for the versions on which you are working:
>>
>> cvs co -d hof-HEAD contributions/modules/hof
>> cvs co -d hof-4.6 -r DRUPAL-4-6 contributions/modules/hof
>> cvs co -d hof-4.5 -r DRUPAL-4-5 contributions/modules/hof
>>
>> Make changes as needed to each version.  When you check in, the
>> checkin will happen on that branch:
>>
>> cd hof-4.6
>> [make changes]
>> cvs ci -m '4.6 changes' hof.module # changes made on 4.6 branch
>>

> I thought this is what got me in trouble before -- trying to commit
> changes to
> a tagged branch. What is different here than what I did yesterday
> that got me
> messed up?

That's the beauty of branches:  that you /can/ commit changes on
them.  Just like core where currently the bug fixes are committed to
both the HEAD and DRUPAL-4-6 branches.  Nothing you did yesterday was
fatal.  I think you were just more confused than anything.  With a
bit of work things could have gotten righted.  From what I read in
one of the threads, you did your initial import into a branch rather
than HEAD.  This is OK...you just need to then merge those changes
into HEAD and/or other branches.  This time you did it the other way
around which is probably easier.

Anyways, you should be OK now.