[development] image node type

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Dec 9 09:41:49 UTC 2005

On 9-Dec-05, at 12:41 AM, Sebastian wrote:

> Ber Kessels wrote:
>
>> I think it is important to know the audience and use. * Images as
>> node == for galleries. 99% for photo's. * Images in any node ==
>> blogs, news, articles, manuals. Not nessecarily photo's, most just
>> for "spice". Blogs, news, forum posts don't need power of
>> placement of inline images (aka handled trough the theme) while
>> manuals and articles will need this.

Ber, you are making broad sweeping statements which are frankly
wrong. YOU may not "need power of placement"....but many, many others
will.

>> We should consider to include both in core, with a clear line
>> between them, and re-use of code.

> Frankly I feel all images should be a node. Even if an image is
> included in a content node just for spice or illustration, very
> likely these images could be thumbnails that link to a larger
> version. Same story if I include a true photo in a content node, it
> will most likely also be a thumbnail linking to the full image node.

+1...although I didn't completely agree with "just use taxonomy" so I
snipped that part. We need good image management, a way of
designating "site images" (i.e. having a node-like page/URL for
something like logos which don't display in galleries). File
attachments are the wrong way to go about this, as having an image
attached to a particular node immediately has issues with re-use of
that image.

Goals first, implementation second. We have a good set of image
handling code, what we need now is good image management and placement.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595