[drupal-devel] How are patches to branches handled?

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Feb 13 10:51:34 UTC 2005

>>>What about modules, and fixes to branches?
>>
>>contribs do not use the last digit. I.e. a contrib like image module has
>>nothing to do with the 4.5.1 branch, it will only have a 4.5 branch.
>
> So what is the point of Scott and Goba (as examples, not to pick on
> anyone), fixing something in 4.5?
> Either:
> a) the fixes gets into 4.5.0, which means we have the problem we describe,
> or
> b) it does not, which brings to question the value of why the fix is
> done to the branch at all
> or
> c) I am missing something?

With contrib modules the 4.5.0 version number does not mean that the
module *is in* version 4.5.0, but that the module *is for* Drupal
version 4.5.0. Contrib modules often change their code from day to day.
There is no solution for this problem as of today AFAIK.

Maybe project module could be updated to package new versions
automatically into something like 4.5.0.20050212 (only when needed).

Goba