[drupal-devel] [feature] create system option to prevent users from changing the theme

Bèr Kessels drupal-devel at drupal.org
Mon Jul 4 09:22:01 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/26302
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/26302

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.0
 Component:    system.module
 Category:     feature requests

I think we should simply rename the "enabled" into "selecatble". Or any
better term.
For the only thing tha checkbox does is enable it for users to select.
It does not enable or disable the theme at all.

Bèr Kessels

Previous comments:

July 4, 2005 - 02:50 : Torenware

>From the forum thread How To Prevent Users From Changing The Theme.  I
asked:

"
I'm working on a module that uses organic groups. I want to allow
different groups to choose different themes, but I don't want
individual users to have that capability.

I'm assuming that this is easy to do, but I can't find a setting. Can
anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Rob

"
At sepeck's suggestion, I'm submitting a patch to do this.  It's
against 4.6.0, and modifies theme.inc and system.module.  It creates a
variable 'configurable_user_themes' which defaults to "enabled"
(4.6.0's current behavior), and if activated, makes system.module
remove the UI for selected a theme, and also causes theme.inc to ignore
any setting for $user->theme if it exists.

July 4, 2005 - 02:54 : Torenware

Didn't set this to "patch" initially, so I'm including the patch again.
Not sure what the procedure is just yet.

July 4, 2005 - 06:07 : TDobes

-1 -- sorry, but I feel that we should use a different method for this
sort of thing.  Any theme that is checked in the admin-> themes screen
should be selectable by users.  Modules should get their list of
available themes from list_themes(), which provides a list of all
available themes, not just those that are selected for use by users.