[drupal-devel] menu system idea

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Sun Jun 19 17:05:45 UTC 2005

Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> Oddly enough, i harbour no love for multi-dimensional arrays =)
>
> I do however think this is one of the cases where they will actually
> provide a more natural access method to the data they contain.
>
> For instance, if you want to get all the child pages for node , you can
> just cycle through $menu['node'], and print all the children that have
> 'item' elements.
>
> Same with drawing the local tasks.

Maybe really good documentation would make it easier to grok.

> I just think that using a tree to store a .. you know.. tree, results
> in clearer, and easier to debug code.

I certainly agree with that.  But I usually think of trees as being, well,
trees, with pointers to parents and children.  You've cleverly mapped this
onto multidimensional arrays.  I tend to think of trees as having 2
dimensions, depth and breadth.  I guess my brain is dimensionally challenged.  :-)

>>>    1. it is slow -- we had to add menu caching, but even with caching
>>> it is slow.
>>>

>> If Adrian's scheme can improve performance, I'd be all for it. I'd  still
>> the code is ugly, but ...

I'm all for performance improvement, too.  If this scheme makes for faster
page generation, I'll bite the bullet and learn to work with it.

--
Chris Johnson