[drupal-devel] How do I... node submit, resubmit, folksonomy

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 2 16:06:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Morbus Iff wrote:

>   * who was working on that folksonomy module? where is it?
>   * can I, via a module, put up a page AFTER the node submit screen?

I am not completely sure, but there was a recent patch by Moshe that
might enable you to do this. You'd need to add a hidden destination
field to your form. Alternatively use the validate part of nodeapi as
Moshe suggested.

> NHPR.org has about 5000+ taxonomy terms. And as much as I hate the

Yay for taxonomy!

> flipping name, consider this a "folksonomy" that has been built over 4
> years. To minimize the duplication and similarity of names ("horse",
> "horses", and "horseriding"), I wrote some custom PHP code that:
>
>   * checks all terms entered by a reporter AFTER the submit.
>   * suggests terms that have a percentile of 75% match.
>   * put up a checkbox list of "these terms may be better".
>   * reporter optionally chooses new terms based on suggestions.
>   * reporter resubmits the node, with the new terms.

Cool, such an approach might make folksonomy actually usable. Did you
think about using taxonomy synonyms for this?

> Since the taxonomy is 5000+ terms, I can't depend on Drupal's
> selectbox.  So, the game plan was to write up some sort of module
> (or flexinode field type) that was a simple textbox that accepted
> terms. These terms would be checked/associated/created with their
> existing vocabulary programmatically (via some sort of module
> backend or custom flexinode code).
>
> My understanding, based on IRC snippets over the weeks, is that this is
> similar to someone's folksonomy module they were working on.
>
> On top of the above, I need to "interrupt" the normal node submission
> process. After a reporter has filled out their node and clicked "Submit",
> I need to show a page of "suggested terms", along with a form of
> checkboxes. Modifying/submitting the checkboxes would resubmit the node.

'Validate' seems like the least painfll way to do this.

> Is there a hook to do this? What options do I have? Any code I write
> (most importantly, the "suggest new terms" formulas) will be
> submitted back to Drupal, naturally.

I am in the process of setting up an image related site that would need
some usable tagging system. I can barely wait. :)

Cheers,
	Gerhard