[drupal-devel] Email filter

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Mar 13 12:20:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Mark Leicester wrote:

Hi Mark!

> I've just committed an emailfilter module which interprets a node as

I suppose it will work for comments as well?

> a plain text email. Depending on its configuration, it will attempt
> to indent and colorise threaded conversations, convert URLs into
> anchors and remove any extra linebreaks. It will also convert &, <,
> > etc. into HTML entities.

I know some Civicspace people who will thank you for this...

> You can see an example of its use here:
> http://www.planetcocoon.com/
>
> I'm using Drupal to collect email traffic to the Apache Cocoon mailing
> lists in an attempt to render it more attractively.
>
> On another related topic, does anyone know how to tweak the mailhandler
> and listhandler to deal with the non-ASCII characters (such as ø, etc.)
> that come through in the usernames, subject lines and message bodies?
> At the moment these characters are all converted to ?. I've tried some
> experiments with drupal_convert_to_utf8() but I've had no luck so far.

I've recently exposed the utf conversion part of the xml import to the
outside world. drupal_convert_to_utf8 should be able to do the job
(available only in cvs/4.6rc).

You'll need to find out what the original encoding was, though. I'd
appreciate a patch for listhandler, if you find the time.

> As this is my first committed module, I'd appreciate some review; any
> feedback that people may have to offer would be gratefully received.

I'll have a look.

Cheers,
	Gerhard