[drupal-devel] Folksonomy: Handling the GUI as vocabulary.default_ui column?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Sun Mar 13 16:03:56 UTC 2005

> Again as on another post. Taxonomy wants to generate form edit fields
> for all vocabularies. I think it should only do this for vocabs of
> module taxonomy and forum.

My current thought process has been dwelling on this. Currently, I'm
thinking about adding a new BOOLEAN to the vocabulary table called
"default_ui". When enabled, the display would be whatever taxonomy
thinks it should be. When disabled, taxonomy assumes that another module
is going to handle the GUI setting.

Or.

"default_ui" is the selectbox. When disabled, taxonomy.module just spits
an input box (and then some new taxonomy.module code would split them on
commas or spaces and run them through the normal add/relation process).

A BOOLEAN addition seems cleaner than:

  * hardcoding known modules that require the selectbox.
  * a new serialized setting/preference.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if "default_ui" is the right conceptual
approach. Should it instead be "is_folksonomy" and the UI and workflow
of taxonomy change based on that flag? The danger in this is future
growth, of course. What other "types" of taxonomy besides controlled
vocabs and folksonomies are there? An "is_folksonomy" flag seems an
admission that it'd be "ok" to add "is_mediocracy", "is_mobonomy",
"is_morbonomy" flags should they ever been needed, and that's not good.

--
Morbus Iff ( i assault your sensibilities! )