[drupal-devel] Is anybody doing any major work on subscriptions module?

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Tue Mar 29 21:46:47 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I began rewriting the subscriptions module a bit today and wanted to
check here if anyone else was also working on it? It would be a shame to
  double our efforts.

Here is what I've done so far:

You can now subscribe to nodes, users and categories (was nodes,
blogs(?) and categories).

The /subscriptions screen where all of the nodes and all of the terms
for the entire site were listed in one gigantic table is gone. In its
place is a screen with three tabs; categories, users, content. The
categories tab lets you subscribe using normal select boxes. Content and
users tabs only show you your subscriptions and offer you the chance to
unsubscribe. I don't think it is a good idea to use these screens as a
means for subscribing to nodes and users.

Each node has the links (un)subscribe content, (un)subscribe user.

Users can decide whether they want immediate notification or digest
notification at an admin specified interval.

What I hope to finish tomorrow is the digest mailing, the admin screen,
and placing a lind (un)subscribe user on each user's page.

I will introduce hook_cron to handle digest mailing and probably a
second table to store the digest mails between crons.

The original subscriptions table is unaltered and a smooth upgrade will
be possible.

cheers,

Robert