[drupal-devel] phptemplate in core?

Tim Altman web at timaltman.com
Sat May 7 20:11:02 UTC 2005

Jeremy Epstein said:

[...]

> Someone pointed out that tableless layouts do actually validate as
> XHTML. This is true, but is no excuse for using such layouts when you
> don't have to. We all know that they're bad for accessibility (screen
> readers), portability (browsers in phones), etc.

I'm not sure who the "we" in the above sentence is, but that's certainly
not been my experience.  It's much easier to make @media handheld or voice
stylesheets when you're not using TABLE tags, but semantically-correct
tags.  So, not only are tableless layouts good for accessibility, but they
reduce page load time and page size.  The only reason *not* to use them,
AFAIAC, is because of buggy or missing CSS support among browsers.

--
Tim Altman