[drupal-devel] "Automatic relative URL" generation?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Mon May 9 02:47:36 UTC 2005

Can Drupal support "automatic relative URL" generation?

By automatic relative URL" I mean something similar to MediaWiki's "[[]]"
construct:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing#Links.2C_URLs

For example, rather then hard-coding this entire URL into the content of
http://drupal.org/node/21832

...I would prefer the Drupal new-post mechanism take this URL string and
auto-convert it to something that just says "/node/21832" and will
automatically change if the server is "assigned" a new primary "base"
URL/domain address. This can also help (and is my biggest purpose) with
local "caches" of Drupal content for "snapshot" reference, say as an
included documentation set for a product that was developed using Drupal
for said product's collaboration and/or documentation.

Alternatively, maybe Drupal could allow the author to make a reference like
[[node/21832]] to do the same as above (and still support pathauto aliases
in the process).

Does my explanation make any sense?

Does this capability exist? Possibly via some module or patch?

-Matt