[development] Encouraging Collaboration

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 07:39:25 UTC 2005

On 19 Nov 2005, at 00:36, Boris Mann wrote:
>>> I had brought up before that we might consider designated
>>> maintainers for core modules -- see http://drupal.org/node/34439
>>> -- there are still the majority that are theoretically
>>> "maintained" by Dries. Dries, do you want to speak up and say
>>> which ones you *actually* want to maintain, which might be in
>>> need of an official maintainer, etc.?
>>
>> Having 'official maintainers' matters for me: in the best case
>> scenario people will bug the maintainer and not me.  Other than
>> being the official point of contact, very little changes.
>
> Right. That's all that I meant. Later on you say "Don't ask me to
> write down the list"...I guess what I'm asking is if it would be
> useful to have the list for some more of the core modules. There is
> a certain responsibility in that case to look at patches for a
> particular core module, and then it is known by those people. e.g.
> James knows that he has to personally look at all Blog API bugs/
> features/etc.

James is listed as the blogapi module maintainer, but he somewhat
stopped caring about it, I think.  He didn't look at any of the
recent blogapi.module patches.  In my book, James stopped doing core
development months ago.

> Just as now, any that you feel don't have maintainers (i.e. people
> with enough trust to be responsible for them) still fall into the
> everybody looks at them/needs to +1 them. Or, of course, ones that
> you want to maintain yourself.

Listing someone as the maintainer doesn't change a thing nor is it a
guarantee for success.  All it does, is associate an e-mail address
with a module.  If someone wants to be in the MAINTAINERS.txt, drop
me a mail, or better yet, upload a patch against MAINTAINERS.txt.
I'll try to update the MAINTAINERS.txt (remove some people, add some
people) before I roll a Drupal 4.7.0 RC1.