[drupal-devel] I do not care about PHP 5

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Oct 14 13:59:04 UTC 2005

You may not be running on PHP 5, but some of us are or will be soon.  That
means if you code non-PHP 5 code, we can't use your code.  Web hosts will
eventually upgrade to PHP 5, be it next month or next year, and Drupal WILL,
sooner or later, have to be 100% PHP 5 friendly.

The more PHP5-incompatibility you code now, the more time you'll spend fixing
it all later.  Whether later is December 2005 or December 2007, you'll still
have to go back and fix it.

Develop under PHP 5 E_STRICT | E_ALL.  Make the system nitpicky.  Fix
everything it complains about.  That way whenever people DO start migrating
to PHP 5 en masse, Drupal is already there.  That makes it something people
migrate TO, instead of away FROM, when they find their old web apps don't
work on PHP 5 anymore.

Do you really want people to get upgraded to PHP 5 and find "Oh, Drupal
doesn't work anymore.  I guess I'll have to dump it and switch to Typo3"?
I'd rather they face the opposite situation. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson