[drupal-devel] Help system redesign

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Sep 25 04:53:09 UTC 2005

On Saturday 24 September 2005 11:25 pm, Khalid B wrote:
> Hey Larry
>
> Thanks for taking the time to update those who do not frequent IRC on
> this important topic.
>
> Some comments:
>
> 1. Use of <link>
>
> The <link>blah</link> is not something I like to see. This is none
> standard, even though it will not make  it in the final rendered HTML
> as is. I prefer something that is syntactically valid, such as <div
> class="drupalhelp">blah</div>.
>
> A better option will be a call to a function: e.g. drupal_help('key');

Well, the problem with putting a function call into the help text is that we'd
then have to eval() it.  I've not looked at Drupal's eval wrapper, but I
generally shy away from eval() for security reasons.  Also, mixing PHP code
with the help text is what we're trying to not do.

> 2. XML
> While everyone is using XML today, and it is very much in vogue, do we
> really needed? Wouldn't a simple:
>
> key1:text goes here
> key2:other text goes here
>
> Be just as adequate?

Probably.  As long as it's easily hand-editable it should work fine.  I
suggested XML because of the plethora of editing tools available and it's
good design vis a vis escape-needing characters.  A colon-delimited text file
or some such would work too, as long as we handle escaping of real colons in
the string.

> 3. .po files
>
> Where are the .po in all this? If we are using a modulename.es.help,
> will that contain the help only, or all the strings? If it is the help
> only, then translating a module will require two steps (one using the
> locale string translation, and another using the .help file).
> If it is for all strings, then does this replace t(), or just augments it?
> Are we confusing people by having more than one interface?

The idea is to not use PO files and t() in the first place for the help text,
because for larger text strings they're much slower than a simple database
hit.

The idea was for modulename.es.help to contain the full translated text.  So
(using the XML example before) module.help would read:

<drupal:entry key="stuff">And now, open the door.</drupal:entry>

While module.fr.help would read:

<drupal:entry key="stuff">Et maintenant, ouvrez la porte.</drupal:entry>

> Here is a late night thought: Can t() be extended so that if it is
> passed an array, with 'key', then it would lookup a string that has
> the key passed rather than just the string?

I don't know, as I've never used PO files myself. :-)  My only use for
translation so far personally has been to customize the built-in text for a
client by creating a fake locale and "translating" just a few strings to have
more app-specific text.

Translation people, any thoughts here?

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42