[drupal-devel] two minor usability issues, introduced recently

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Tue Sep 27 08:58:09 UTC 2005

On Monday 26 September 2005 23:30, neil at civicspacelabs.org wrote:
> I'd avoid adding rules. Comitted patches can always be refactored for UI
> later. This happens with code too. I think the best thing would be some
> way of making UI changes more findable for review. I think this would
> allow for time UI people give to Drupal more well-spent.

the big problem with this is that refactoring a UI requires coding too. Most
Usability experts care not/cannot/will not code.
Thus usabiltity 'feature' request will stick as issues in the queue forever.
They will because they do already. Somehow developers do not pick up these
features from the queue, when they do not have a patch. (and I know why....)

So if we want to cater these experts we need to help and include them in our
process. Not bolt some usability review on top. And optionally (never) fix
issues afterwards. Cateering them would mean: screenshots, example or test
sites, etc. I found that when a screenshot is submitted the UI oftne comes
out much nicer then when it was not. Because -i assume- usability reviewers
find it far too much hassle to maintain local devel sites where they can
apply patches.

Usability, code style(ity), security, feasability, flexibility are all of
equal importance in Drupal. That is quite unique, but a very good thing.
Developers often care about only a few of these -itys. Making it go trough
more people ensures that most of the itys are touched and reviewed. And to
allow different people to look at this in differen ways we need to cater
these.

Ber