[development] [announcement] Integration of roundcube webmail in drupal

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Fri Apr 14 18:17:11 UTC 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 7:51 AM, Keegan Quinn wrote:

> So, in conclusion, if you're interested in having a traditional
> email list with simple bits of integration (ie. new Drupal users are
> subscribed if they opt-in), integrating with an MLM might make a lot
> of sense.
>
> On the other hand, if you just need a means of delivering bulk
> messages to Drupal users, consider doing it all natively in PHP.
> (is that what og2list does?  help them out if so!)

FWIW, the MLM module at http://drupal.org/node/44580 was written to
allow you to make these decisions without presenting yet another Mail-
related UI to users.  By writing backends for it (e.g. defining about
7 functions for subscribe, unsubscribe, etc), you can  leverage the
existing interface for creating new lists, subscribing, unsubscribing
and posting.  This gives users a single point of control over how
messages are being delivered to them.  It also lets you choose the
best tool for the job (MLM, drupal-based, etc.) without changing the
UI or losing your post history.

A combination of the News module and MLM is being used to deliver
larger-scale mailings (tens of thousands of recipients)

With funding and participation, I would like to work on backends for
CiviCRM/CiviMail, and repurpose on of the existing Mailman backends.
Had og2list not been written so og-specific, we could have written a
drupal-based backend and gained more flexibility for both initiatives.

I believe that this is an important step in drupal-based mailings.
There are use cases where of sending one message to a lot of people
( news, simplenews, massmailer) . There are cases where you want to
segment recipients into predefined groups (og2list and other forum-
backed list solutions).

Another important step is consistent sub-listings, sub-groupings and
filter-based mailings.  For example, subscribing to notifications
based on your location, subscribing to saved searches, flagging your
interests for automated newsletters, etc.  It occurs to me that you
could write a view-based backend, if we had more generalized queuing
stuff.

By writing a consistent frontend and encouraging useful backends, I'm
trying to create a framework that would support these present and
future use cases.

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies