[development] Making a whole site location aware - a design question

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Fri Aug 18 04:00:09 UTC 2006

Consider...

Write a module which stores this data however you see fit.  (Could be a table
you create that joins the users table on uid).

Then, use hook_db_rewrite_sql to filter out any nodes which have location
information which is not within the users radius.  This way, your work
applies to any node with location information, not just events.  And the
event (or any other) module does not have to change at all.

If you take this approach, your module is essentially a location-based access
control module.  Read up on how node.module uses hook_db_rewrite_sql to
filter nodes based on the node_access table and emulate that.

-Dave

On Thursday 17 August 2006 19:39, drupal at mclewin.com wrote:
> I have a question for the masters.  If you are an impatient master, jump
> over the context and to the second to last sentence for the question.
[snip]