[development] Configurable content types in core

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Mon Aug 28 18:32:36 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 07:23, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> And -for once- come up with a good database model (entity relation diagram)
> before  the code/patch?
>
> If you want to do something this big good, your datamodel must be good. And to
> design a complex datamodel, simple PHP code won't cut it.

A big +1 from here! Code can be refactored or completely rewritten much more
easily than a data model can be redesigned. Let's take the time to get it right
from the start.

> Because of this, I have just put my initial thoughs online with the ERD. As I
> state in the small description, I am clueless when it comes t drawing such
> diagrams. :)
>
>   http://webschuur.com/node/643

I think this model (albeit an early draft, as you say) is fundamentally sound
in its semantics. Just out of curiosity, what are the "node characteristics"
to which you refer, and what is the "id" field in that entity? If this is the
actual data for a node, then you may need the node ID plus the field ID as keys
rather than just a single ID key. Or am I reading it wrong?

Scott