[development] Question about Forms API?

Richard Morse remorse at partners.org
Fri Dec 1 14:47:37 UTC 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 5:15 PM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

>> (I also set '#input' to false, but that may be unnecessary),
>
> It's not 'unnecessarry' but 'fundamentally broken'. If #input is
> FALSE then user submitted values will never got to your element and
> the #value of the element won't even be created if it does not
> exist and $form_values won't get the #value... this is not
> something you want.

The items are hidden values, though, not user input values.  The
issue is that I need to preserve 'q', 'sort', and 'order' values
across form submission (the form is submitted via GET, because I need
to preserve the form values across clicks in a tablesort_sql table).
The value for 'q' is needed to allow this to work with or without
clean urls, but it never needs to be set by the user.  'sort' and
'order' would only change from clicking on a link created by
tablesort_sql, so again it isn't being changed by the user in the
context of the form.  To set the values, I actually grab them out of
$_REQUEST, because I don't want the previous values that the form
had, I want the values that are new from the user.

If you'd like to see this in action, the module I'm working on is
site_user_list.

RIcky