[development] Oracle buys SleepyCat

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 15 17:41:54 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Kieran Lal <kieran at civicspacelabs.org> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2006, at 7:32 PM, Khalid B wrote:
>
> > Oracle bought SleepyCat, the makers of the Berkeley DB that powers
> > MySQL's BDB tables.
> >
> > http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/15/0018241
>
> If you look at the MySQL documentation there have been hints about
> not using BDB for a while.  Nobody that I know uses it.

Yes.

But it was the only transactional engine left after Oracle grabbed Inno.
Now, even that is gone.

> > Previously, they bought InnoBase, makers of InnoDB.
>
> I spoke with the chief architect of MySQL a few weeks ago after
> Oracle purchased InnoDB.  He assured me that that serious InnoDB
> commits were on track and things seemed to be business as usual.

For the time being? Maybe. Going forward? They control MySQL AB's
bread and butter which is providing commerically licensed transactional
products (i.e. MySQL + Inno).

They will eventually choke that revenue stream.

If that happens it will be hard for the community to pick up the GPL version
and keep running with it. Not impossible, but hard ...

> I am much more hopeful about MySQL MaxDB, http://www.mysql.com/
> products/maxdb/, which is used to run some of the largest enterprise
> databases for SAP.

Seems to have referential integrity.Not clear to me if it has transactions
or not (doesn't say).

http://www.mysql.com/products/maxdb/features.html

Regardless, will it be enough to sustain MySQL AB's revenue stream
from commercial licensing?

> Who cares, we are all going to be writing everything in the Drupal
> javascript framework soon enough anyway :-)

Javascript?

Where was that rope ... ah there it is .... <clicks Log out, and then
hangs himself>