[development] Re: Update pathauto to Drupal 4.7

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Thu Feb 16 16:11:12 UTC 2006

I use it on my blog, but to be honest I think the current path system
makes pathauto unusable for core inclusion.

A more robust algorithmic url-aliasing mechnism, like the one that chx
and company brainstormed a few months ago, has a lot more potential IMO.
On large sites, auto-generating aliases creates unmanagably huge path
tables, colliding urls with ugly _0, _1, _2 suffixes all over the place,
and so on. That's not a failing of pathauto, just a testament to how
much it DOES do in an alias scheme that's not well suited for some of
the things it's often used for.

--Jeff