[development] Advice for developing Drupal wiki module

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Jan 10 16:06:18 UTC 2006

On 10-Jan-06, at 5:46 AM, eric Farris wrote:

> On 1/10/06, Steve Dondley <sdondley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> oh, wait, we have that already. :p Really, its possible since a
>>> long time.
>>
>> Yes, it's true. I've got a wiki on my a site of mine for many months
>> without ever seeing Bryght's guide.  But it certainly isn't polished
>> or very user friendly.  There's a bg difference between cobbling
>> together functionality out of sticks and constructing one solid
>> module
>> carefully with bricks and mortar.
>>

> Bryght's recipe is great, but we could make this much easier. I think
> what we need is a wiki bundle, similar to the ecommerce family of
> modules.
>
> * something for markup (wiki.module, marksmarty.module, or a rich text
> area module like FCKeditor

It has to be filter. At this time, wiki.module syntax is incompatible
with all the WYSIWYG editors. And, of course, if one person creates
with wiki markup with rich text disabled, then the next

> * something for internode link syntax / node creation (like
> freelinking, could be made much richer)

Yes, I think improvements to this would be great....except, as Adrian
states, it probably needs to be relationship based: inlinks,
outlinks, Table of Contents (hierarchy).

> * something for the node itself (like wikipage.module, better perms on
> story/page/book, or a CCK content type

This is the big thing that needs doing -- rename wiki.module (there
is no maintainer, right?) to wikimarkup.node or similar and turn it
into a bundle, with the main wiki.module producing a node and
permissions.

> But even that's not enough, with current Drupal. If you're looking to
> have someone work for pay, have them do something that's actually
> *needed*, something that doesn't yet exist. If you want true wikis in
> Drupal, the filter system needs some love.

+1 for a bunch of the concepts listed.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595