[development] Advice for developing Drupal wiki module

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Tue Jan 10 16:42:15 UTC 2006

> > "It makes me wonder again: how can it be that people have
> such a hard time to
> grok how to use several modules to achieve a single thing?".
> Meaning, that it
> is really hard to achieve, that it is not easy, but possible.

Because taking 3 modules, combining them together, and writing a bit of
theme-glue to pull them together nicely is thinking like a programmer.
If the end user isn't a programmer, it's a much bigger conceptual jump.
It's one of the reasons Apples OpenDoc project never really took off --
in the end, it was like telling users to glue together widgets to make
their dream word processor. The 5% who wanted to tweak everything liked
it, but others were confused by all the 'gluing' necessary.

This isn't to say that things should be dumbed down, or that they should
be made monolithic. Just that modules not explicitly designed to work
well together rarely have clean 'seams' when they meet.

--Jeff