[development] Module to Track RSS Subscribers

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Mon Jan 16 22:10:25 UTC 2006

Nick Lewis wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm in the early stages of building a set of scripts that
> parse out info about hits to a site's RSS feed. The goal is to
> trasmogrify what is now only viewable as thousands of anonymous hits to
> node/feed to a list of total hits to node/feed by ip address. My hope is
> that this will be the foundation for a module/feature that gives me a
> ballpark idea of how many RSS subscribers I actually have.

How about amending the feed's link URLs?

eg  node/5  becomes feedtracker/{sessionid}/node/5

A module can log and 302-redirect "clicks".  This rather depends
on aggregators being trackable by session ID, which I have no knowledge
of at all.

But ferchrissakes *please* don't go anywhere near IP addresses.  The
number of things which I've had to clean up in my life because a site
happens to have lots of (eg) AOL users [1] is turning me grey before
my time.

jh

[1]  Before replying with something regarding RSS and AOL, read that
      again and notice I said 'eg' as well.