[development] Categorizing modules-demonstrating the value of the Drupal platform

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Tue Jan 24 00:55:19 UTC 2006

Hi, software platforms like Drupal are often evaluated by the
additional components they have.  Today Drupal's contributed modules
are plentiful but the value of the modules is hard to discover
because the modules are hard to understand.   This can be fixed in 3
ways.  First, we need to categorize modules so that they can be
quickly discovered.  Second, we need to evaluate modules to rate
their quality.  Third, we need to make it easier to understand
contributed modules.

CivicSpace Labs with a lot of personal contributions from Nedjo and
Dries have extended the project module to allow modules to be
categorized.   This new categorization can be seen on the Drupal.org
beta site: http://scratch.drupal.org/project/Modules

We are looking for volunteers to help us discover what the logical
categories for modules on the Drupal platform is.  We are starting
with the developer community who know the modules best.  In the long
run we are likely to conduct a card sort usability experiment to
confirm that modules are well categorized for web site developers,
and Drupal administrators.  We know from recent surveys that
installing new modules is one of the most common tasks and therefore
represents one of the biggest usability improvements for Drupal.  We
are looking for volunteers to wade through the modules and attempt a
first pass at categorization.

There are 4 groups of modules we could evaluate with the total
modules increasing in each category.  The larger the group to
categorize the more work.
1) Most downloaded modules about 40- http://drupal.org/node/46109
2) Modules with administration help documentation. http://drupal.org/
handbook/modules -about 80
3) Modules with project pages http://drupal.org/project/Modules-
about 200? <-has the advantage of allowing us to categorize all the
project modules
4) Modules checked into the CVS contributions directory http://
cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/- Several hundred?

The goal is to get this categorization done for the upcoming
Drupal.org upgrade.  I'll moderate this thread to coordinate
volunteers and help to come up with some top level categories.

Please suggest some top level categories for module project pages.

Cheers,
Kieran