[development] GPL policy: request for clarification

Corey Bordelon corey.bordelon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 14:15:41 UTC 2006

I'm not familiar with "adept", but I've seen how RubyGems works.  It seems
like a very good model to follow for command-line based
installers/updaters.  I'm sure it using some magic meta programming that
can't be ported to php.

Has anyone thought about using the PEAR installer?  I heard alot of hype
about it in the PHP community at one point, then it died down.  I think
http://pearified.com gives a list of a few channels already setup.

We could create a drupal channel and have core, it's modules, and all the
modules in contribs available through it.  Then to install drupal core after
they've "discovered" our channel, someone could do "pear install
drupal/drupal_core".   I believe it already has a bit of
versioning/dependency checking built into it.  I know that it is preferred
to not rely on any third party projects, but (AFAIK) PEAR is supported with
the official PHP project.  If we do have to hack it to our needs, this could
be a way to give back to the "mother project", so to speak.

This could possibly lower the bar of entry to installing new modules.
Following with Bèr's philosophy, a decent web-based module
retriever/installer/updater could grow up around it allowing an
administrator to update their site without ever leaving it.

Those are my (likely over-ambitious) thoughts on this.