[development] Download statistics for core

Scott McLewin drupal at mclewin.com
Fri Jun 2 18:50:17 UTC 2006

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

>> This is a GREAT idea. It's worth noting that most other CMS systems,
>> including WordPress, do this in their administration sections. The only
>> trick, I think, is Aggregator.module's dependence on cron. Until a user
>> configures that bit of the system, they won't get any security
>> announcements.
>>

> We could instruct the user to invoke cron.php manually after update.
> The installer could run cron.php after completing the installation.
>
> Cheers,
>    Gerhard
The concept of an administration block that shows up when patches are
available is a good one, especially if a default Drupal install had it
enabled for the administrator out of the box.

To work through some of the dependence on sites running cron, I propose
that this same block also show a notice if cron has not been run in over
two weeks (or some reasonable time frame that is measured in days and
not hours).  The block would alert the admin to the fact that cron has
not run since date DD MMM, YYYY and provide a link to click to check for
security updates.  That link could kick off cron. There is an issue of
the user than expecting a response quickly (which cron does not
necessarily provide).  It also assumes that Drupal stores the time/date
of the last successful cron run.  If it does not, that's an easy patch.

I'd find this useful personally in two ways.

First, in the context described here it would help catch the cases where
an admin would miss security updates because the aggregator did not run
to draw down the RSS feed of the updates.

Second, I've made the same mistake several times across the Drupal based
sites I manage.  I've typically forgotten to modify cron-lynx.sh to
point to my site and not www.example.com, and I forget to make the
change until I notice that cron-driven content is a week or three out of
date.  I've since moved cron-lynx.sh out of the Drupal tree - this sort
of admin warning that cron is not running would have helped me catch
what is a slightly embarrassing mistake.  Hopefully it's not just me
making it.  :)

Scott