[development] RFC: proposal for project releases

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Sun Jun 4 02:10:44 UTC 2006

many of us have been wishing there was a better way for project
maintainers to identify and distribute releases of their
contributions on drupal.org.  the current system of nightly tarballs
generated automatically, with everything being called simply
"<project_name>-4.7.0" (and relying on a date to have any idea what
"version" it is) leaves a lot to be desired...

instead of just complaining about it, killes, nedjo, merlinofchaos,
and myself have been figuring out how it should really work.  in
particular, merlin and i had a good debate on IRC today (which some
other folks added to), and we're converging on a design we think
handles all the concerns, and yet would be relatively easy to
achieve.  it's getting to the point that we just need the proverbial
+1 from some key folks (namely killes and/or dries) so we don't start
writing code for something that won't be put into action.

request for comments (RFC):

http://drupal.org/node/58066

if you ever wanted to see this stuff get better, now's your chance to
share your ideas/concerns.  please just post into that issue, no need
for a big thread on this mailing list.

thanks!
-derek (dww)