[development] Move multiple theme per site support to contribmodule

James Gilliland neclimdul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 22:54:29 UTC 2006

I don't like the idea of getting rid of the "enabled" idea.  Almost every
site I make I have used this feature early on to test an preview themes with
users.  It is also handy for rolling out new themes and testing them.  There
is also one site I do use it on and another I plan to release.

Enough personal experience, looking at it from a community perspective.
When you roll out a large corporate sort of site you're right this does seem
pointless.  It however does come to the time where you will need a new theme
for that site.  Even after testing it offline, I personally would test it on
the main server as a test user with rights to change theme.

Now, on a more community driven site or a hobbyist site this is going to
show up being used more often.  These are also the people that aren't going
to want to trudge around the contrib modules to find something like this.  A
lot of them are also probably going to get fed up and find a way to have a
less functional site with something simple like phpBB(its method for this is
more confusing by far though).

So, both types of sites have use cases for this functionality.  To me,
removing this doesn't add any bonuses but leaving it in provides some useful
features.  I also think its a simple clean cut interface and I really don't
think it confuses anybody.  I immediately understood what was going on when
I saw the page.

The tiered settings on the other hand are confusing.  I think there was some
discussion about this prior to the 4.7 release as well.  I'd be interested
in seeing some work there though I'm not sure of a the right approach.

James Gilliland