[development] Install profiles tutorial for Drupal 4.7, Friday 8AM PST

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Jun 9 20:14:48 UTC 2006

Op vrijdag 9 juni 2006 21:06, schreef Gabor Hojtsy:
> Sometimes these replacements get
> into core in place of outdated stuff. This is how parts of CCK are
> hopefully going to get into core in place of story, page, etc modules.
> This does not mean story and page should not have been there, and we
> should have been waiting for (a simplified) CCK all along. Or does it?

Yes. But this time we are putting somthing in that has no equivalent yet.
Somthing that is not proven to the The Right Way.
Note that CCK is already a second revision (flexinode?) and still needs TLC as
well as a lot of rounds of improvment.

 "There is no better test environment then the real world". (quoting no-one)

Thing is: I investigated a lot of stuff before starting my sympal installer
stuff, and my conclusion was twofold:

    There is *no* such thing as a safe online install system. Joomla, e.g.
fails on a lot (I recieved  a number of 1/4th) of servers. Only servers with
a *lax* security program let Joomla install itself, and write its own code
from the web.

   Plesk and brethren (and even .debs etc) rule the market of Small Sites. IMO
Drupals People. I esitmated (wild guess) that over half of our Drupal
installations are installed trough such systems. So: why not offer a plesk
installer instead? Or even better: a way to make building a
plesk-Drupal-instaler Very Easy. What is better: a button in plesk that says:
"install Drupal" or a way to allow FTP-ing your site, browsing to some Secret
URL, install your Drupal-With-Drupal?

Again, I'd like to mention "staring blind". We should really move away from
the idea that a web installer is crucial. And focus on the underlying issue:
Make *deploying* Drupal very easy. That does not start and end with a
web-based installer. That starts wtih a vision and a good founded "thing" to
install Drupal. From whatever: Plesk, MyOSServerManager, debian, ubuntu, OSX
app installers, Hell, even a .exe, or .msi would be grand, or a live CD, etc.

But not by walking like geese behind all the other CMSes that have web based
installers.

Bèr