5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

gunnar gunnar at langemark.com
Mon May 1 23:37:37 UTC 2006

> gunnar wrote:
> > In my opinion Drupal always has a roadmap, but not always very precisely
> > communicated.
> I'd like to suggest something a little less formal. A section in the
> newsletter, call it say 'grape vine', 'overheard', 'Crystal ball'[1]
> or whatever that looks at what *might* be coming - the point is it

Good suggestion. Let's not pretend we have a real roadmap. I like the concept
of a personal battleplan for each developer - like Dries is pushing.
Maybe one of us could maintain a page/group summarizing some of this?
(Pointing at myself??)

> And really, anybody that has a serious interest in where Drupal is going
> should be getting involved with the community, and that means
> hanging out on irc, subscribing to mailing lists, reading the
> newsletter and listening to the podcasts.

You're so right. It should be mandatory, but the thing is - Drupal is now so
HUGE, that I could spend 3-4 hours a day just to keep updated with all that
happens.

If everybody mailed me with their battle plans (or we made a group) - I could
summarize - a "crystal ball" post once every month or so?? It would be my
personal prediction, and NOT an official document. It would anger some people
who would tend to think I was too pessimistic (which I'm not - I predicted a
4.7 launch date for late march to late april - back in november. But that was
in private - and not in public) - I'm just old.

;-)

Gunnar Langemark
gunnar at langemark.com