[development] Freezing the Drupal API

sime info at urbits.com
Tue May 16 03:03:49 UTC 2006

Khalid B wrote:

>> One thing I have been playing with, is a module that acts like
>> wrappers around
>> the form api. So that we can (back again) call form_select(). For
>> those who
>> feel unconfy with the Fapi (like me). Or those not willing/able to
>> invest a
>> lot of time to learn Fapi (like me). The actual plan/implemenation
>> set aside:
>> if there is a need for some "old fashioned bakwards, and in the eyes
>> of a lot
>> of developers plain stupid" concepts. It will make it.

> Use formupdater and it will do a lot of the grudge work for you. Most
> of my modules
> are converted now to 4.7, and much of that was done by a relative
> newcomer to
> Drupal (my partner).
>
> The advanced uses of  FAPI are another matter though ...

As the resident annoying newbie. I echo that.

My impression of both systems, before I'd used either, was they both
solved my problem - my hatred of coding forms in HTML. If anything, FAPI
*looked* easier for a newcomer.

My first Drupal patch was a FAPI upgrade with the help of formupdater.
That was with less than a year programming web.