Modules connecting to commercial code/services (was Re: [development] Microsoft SQL Server)

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue May 23 16:46:56 UTC 2006

On 23-May-06, at 8:37 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Robert Douglass wrote:
>> I didn't follow the discussion that occurred around your module
>> and don't know what the issues were, but I personally don't see
>> any problems with commercial associations as long as they are kept
>> in the open. In fact, I think it is healthy for people to be able
>> to make money with free software.
>
> Well, I obviously agree on that point.
>
>> MS-SQL support would be a fantastic thing for Drupal to have, as
>> would Oracle and DB2 support. Anybody who would shoot these down
>> has their head in some Gnu's butt.
>
> The project Ajk was talking about was about writing a module as an
> interface between Drupal and some commercial, third-party stats
> software, I think the name was netstat or similar.
>
> I told him, I'd rather not have him contribute it since it is only
> usefull if you actually buy that package. Then it occurred to me a
> short while later, that probably all ecommerce payment gateways and
> amazon.com integration modules are of this kind too and it doesn't
> make much sense to host the one module and not the other. After
> that I suggested we discuss this, but nobody took me up on the
> offer )the mail was to the infrastructure list).

Draft in my inbox still, sorry about that.

I think the short answer here is quite simple -- as long as the
connector module is GPL, it has every right to be in Drupal CVS. If
people don't want to use the module, they won't use it.

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595