[development] relationships API vs i18n

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu Nov 9 09:10:20 UTC 2006

Hi,

The more I think about how the non-i18n Drupal world would benefit from
i18n features comming into core (so how do we convince you with all the
good stuff :) is that relations are perfect implementation candidates for
node translation connection storage.

Previous discussion and implementation:

Create generalized relationship module
http://drupal.org/node/28480

Relationship - Node linking and Metadata
http://drupal.org/project/relationship

Relationships & site structuring group
http://groups.drupal.org/relationships-site-structuring

The RDF triple approach is a true and tried method to handling relations
(see the existing module description). I would propose that we should
include a small triple handler in core. This would be good for i18n and
other modules to use, so we might get to a win-win situation. Contrib
modules can extend on this triple handling with RDF generation and such.

Who is willing to work on relations for core? IMHO we should look into
reimplementing the book module functionality first with this, since the
book module interface is quirky as it is anyway. There the storage of
weight might be a good question. While triple's don't allow you to store
weights, the RDF representation allows for 'primary data' to be connected
to the triple (rdf:value for those RDF-literate). This approach can be
used to represent the weight IMHO.

Gabor