[development] content types. posts. post settings.

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Fri Nov 10 18:23:11 UTC 2006

Eric Goldhagen wrote:
> At 1:15 AM -0800 11/10/06, Neil Drumm wrote:
>> I would currently consider any use of the words node, taxonomy, and term
>> in UI text to be bugs. These are post/content, categories, and category.
>
> I feel that is not true. Category is but one expression of taxonomy.
> Taxonomy is far more complex and powerful than a simple category/tagging
> system and calling it such is good. Talk to any information
> professional, such as librarians, and they will tell you that taxonomy
> is an important term/concept and drupal gets much credit for using that
> term instead of dumbing it down as "categories"
>
> I've had more than one opportunity to develop on drupal because the
> system is called "taxonomy" and therefor implies much more complex
> possibilities than if it was called tags or categories.

Before we decide how we make these language choices we really have to
figure out who is/are Drupal's audiences.

The complete and answer to that is: we are a bunch of contributors with
individual goals, and are collectively writing for the sum of our
individual audiences. Unfortunately, that definition doesn't get us very
far.

We do have some useful data for the recent administrator's survey, which
Kieran, myself, and others are working on writing up in the most useful
and presentable way. This will tell us how Drupal administrators
self-identify.

For the problem at hand, convention and existing implementation tell us
that category is the preferred word at the moment, so we should use it.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/