[development] death to "x.y.z" version is now inevitable

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Tue Nov 14 19:39:32 UTC 2006

On 14-Nov-06, at 12:27 PM, Derek Wright wrote:

> to re-iterate -- if you're dealing with an "x.y.z" issue, you
> should re-assign it to:
> 6.x-dev -- feature request
> 5.x-dev -- bug report/task for 5.x
> 4.7.x-dev bugs/tasks for 4.7.5 and beyond (now exists, for the
> DRUPAL-4-7 snapshot releases)
> 4.6.10 -- bugs only relevant in 4.6.10  (i'm assuming we don't want
> do do DRUPAL-4-6 snapshot builds)
>
> <snip>
>
> is everyone happy with this?

Pretty much.

6.x-dev vs. 5.x-dev is great, as it clearly defines "this is
something that should get fixed in this release" vs. "this is
something we should put off until the next release."

Where things get sticky for me are things like 5.0-beta1 vs. 5.x-dev
and 4.7.4 vs. 4.7-dev.

Should things only get filed against 5.0-beta1 / 4.7.4 if they were
fixed in that version? Or should they be filed in that version if
they were originally spotted in that version? Are 5.0-beta1 / 4.7.4
for "end users" to report bugs as opposed to 5.x-dev /4.7-dev which
are for "developers" to report bugs? Or..?

To be fair, this wasn't clear to me before the new release system
either, but as long you invited people to ask. ;)

-Angie