[development] Confusion by too many issue queues

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 06:41:58 UTC 2006

On 14 Nov 2006, at 20:12, Derek Wright wrote:
>> Doesn't change the fact that an issue filed against 'HEAD' will
>> probably
>> remain in HEAD as HEAD moves forward until closed. Creating a release
>> doesn't make the bugs in head disappear. Releasing a major version
>> doesn't make the bugs in head go away.
>
> i still think there's value in knowing what version the bug was
> reported against in the first place.  if we want to say "show me
> all the still-open bugs that were submitted for 4.7.x" we still
> can, but we'd know that those are a different class of urgency than
> the new bugs reported for 5.x (critical vs. normal vs. minor aside).
>
> it's easy to query for what you want to know if you have a more
> specific classification system.
>
> if you just lump everything together into something called "HEAD",
> it's impossible to usefully filter the stuff back out again
> depending on what you want to know.

I can't talk for the others, but I haven't had much problems with the
filtering/querying in the old system, or with figuring out the
version information.  Figuring out what version someone is running,
has not been a big issue for me.

+1 for removing x.y.z and optimizing for ease of use.  5.0-dev and
6.0-dev are useful.