[development] Is emailpage abandoned?

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Wed Nov 15 07:59:43 UTC 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:17 PM, AjK wrote:

>> Send: depends on CiviCRM for a bunch of tracking features.
>> Hmmm...might actually require some sort of "Mail" or something as
> well....I forget.
>
> Uses CiviCRM, not worth mentioning then unless you want that
> installed too,
> just to send a page? ;)

Woah there, Tex!  There's a big difference between a module that
supports CiviCRM and one that depends on it.  When CiviCRM is
installed, send will create a new user (if necessary) for both the
sender and the recipient, and then log an action for each.  When
CiviCRM is not installed, it doesn't do that.

Send depends on Mime Mail to convert the node's HTML into a valid
multi-part email.  Mime Mail's output is themeable, and when left to
its own devices it uses your theme's style sheets.  Rather than
attempting to construct valid messages on a one-off basis, send
leverages Mime Mail's code, which is reusable by other modules.  It's
more efficient this way, and you can maintain consistent branding
while respecting users' plain-text/html email preferences.

I wrote send because I wanted a consistent way to send nodes from the
site for various reasons.  For example, the News module extends send
by form_altering the recipient into a selection of mailing lists.
Petition or letter to the editor modules could do similar.  Send
keeps track of which nodes are sent, by whom, and by which module.
You could use this data to determine your most active senders and
most frequently-sent nodes across all participating modules.  And, of
course, it would all get tracked in CiviCRM, if you're into that sort
of thing :)

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies