[development] Looking forward next year and PHP versions

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Nov 15 15:23:57 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 08:31, Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> On 11/14/06, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
> > I don't think this is unreasonable.  While I appreciate shared hosts'
> > concerns re backward compatibility, security patches are only happening
> > on 4.4.x now for the PHP 4 branch.  4.3 is effectively unsupported by
> > default.  (I'm personally rather surprised that Drupal doesn't already
> > require 4.3.9 or 4.3.10 anyway, since those were stable and widely
> > deployed for a long time.)
>
> It's more than shared hosts - RHEL4 uses 4.3.9.  It still gets
> security updates through the RH backports system and will continue to
> for years to come.

Yes, but is that real 4.3.9 or is that "Red Hat's bastardized 4.3.9"?  I've
learned over the years to simply not trust Red Hat's version numbering to be
in any way related to the official package version numbering, as they like to
backport things without changing a version number.

And no, I really don't think we should keep PHP 4 support until 2012. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson