[development] death to "x.y.z" version is now inevitable

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Nov 16 10:26:30 UTC 2006

i'm not claiming the docs are the best possible explanation and that
there's no room for improvement.  however, a) they're not *that*
dense, b) they're pretty thorough in explaining everything, c) myself
and webchick spent a *huge* amount of time writing/editing/organizing
them to be as clear as possible, targeted for the right audience(s),
etc.

a complete redesign of the entire release process for a huge software
project involving tons of interacting versions, which didn't really
have a release process before this (except for core), isn't utterly
trivial, to be summed up in 100 words or less on 1 screen. ;)  my
favorite quote about this: "make everything as simple as possible,
but no simpler." our life is COMPLICATED (core vs. contrib, stable
vs. new features, APIs changing all over the place, etc, etc, etc).
none of this is my fault. ;)  furthermore, while designing the
system, my hands were partially tied by years of past-practice.  if
we were starting from scratch, it could be a lot cleaner and make
even more sense, but i had to bolt a solution on top of a mostly
broken foundation, so i did the best i could.  i just tried to stare
our complicated reality in the face and solve our problems with a
tool that's powerful enough to express and handle the complication
we've always had, with the least drastic changes to how we've always
done things.  now, when people are forced to acknowledge this
complication, they balk at the less than 10 handbook pages you have
to read to fully understand everything... (i'm not singling out
anyone with that statement, please don't take it personally).

i don't think the release system, the docs, or myself are completely
perfect, so i hope my sometimes scathing rebukes of the questions/
complaints people are sending are not taken the wrong way. ;)  i'm
trying to keep a good attitude about it all, so i hope all of you do,
too...

On Nov 15, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Darrel O'Pry wrote:

> If my understanding is not mistaken it should probably read...
> DRUPAL-4-7 = 4.7.x-dev  ( the head of the DRUPAL-4-7 branch)
> and
> DRUPAL-4-7--1 = 4.7.x-1.x ( sticky tag in the DRUPAL-4-7 branch)

this is full of lies and confusion. ;)

1) you're mixing up core ("4.7.x-dev") and contrib ("4.7.x-1.x").  as
clearly explained in numerous places, these have different version
number schemes (and therefore, slightly different CVS branch/tagging
conventions)

2) DRUPAL-4-7--1 does not exist. it's neither a branch, a tag, nor a
version, and the scripts that defend our CVS repository prevent you
from being able to create it.  here's why:
http://drupal.org/node/92452
"New release system: debate on branches and versions"
(i note with mild disappointment that only 9 other people commented
in that thread, even though the implications effect the many hundreds
of you on this list).

3) <cvs-guru> the "sticky tag" is a property of each instance of a
file you checkout from CVS.  it's something in your local workspace,
not in the repository.  the sticky tag (visible via "cvs status") is
how CVS remembers what tag you've checked out, so that all commands
[1] by default are relative to that tag.  if the sticky tag is set to
a branch, it means that if you run "cvs commit", you make a new
revision on that branch. "cvs diff" in a workspace with a sticky tag
means "show me the diff between my local copy of this file, and the
copy my sticky tag points to"...

the only identifier in CVS that automatically moves along as you make
new revisions is a branch, and that's because when you create a tag
at the beginning of the branch, that special kind of tag (a "branch
tag") is used to identify the entire branch.  at any given time, if
you ask CVS for "file foo from branch bar", you get the copy of foo
on the very end of the "bar" branch.  i know it's confusing, which is
why i poured so much thought and time into this page:
http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/introduction#branches-and-tags
</cvs-guru>

> I'm not the kind of person who sits and reads heavy docs then goes to
> work with a thorough academic understanding of the process.

fair enough.  we knew these kind of people exist, which is why
webchick was kind enough to write up the first draft of the
quickstart guide in the first place.  but, for it to remain "quick",
it can't cover everything in full detail.  that's what the rest of
http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs is for.

> I'm just stoked... I've been wanting this kind of
> branching and tagging for a while just in CVS, its even more awesome
> that project module supports it...

thanks, i appreciate that a lot.  in spite of the minor criticisms
and sometimes major confusion, the response has been overwhelmingly
positive.  i'm glad most people see the beauty and happiness all of
this will bring. ;)

therefore, again, my apologies for being somewhat abrasive in my
replies.  it's just frustrating how much work i've put in, and how
hard it was to get anyone's input when there was a good chance to do
something about it.  now that it's live, i'd like to just move on
with my life, but i find myself spending hours re-answering questions
and re-hashing debates i've already documented and been through...

-derek

[1] </cvs-guru style="pedantic"> sticky tags work for all cvs
commands except for "cvs annotate" (what i like to call "cvs
blame"). ;)  this is a bug in CVS, IMHO. :(  cvs annotate doesn't
honor sticky tags, so even if you're in a directory checked out from
DRUPAL-4-7, to see the annotated changes to foo.module on the
DRUPAL-4-7 branch, you have to use:
"cvs annotate -r DRUPAL-4-7 foo.module" </cvs-guru>