[development] Database Administrator

Ian Ward ian at developmentseed.org
Thu Nov 16 17:05:26 UTC 2006

Hi Omar,

This sounds nice.  You might also find some good info on http://
cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/fbu/ which is a
file backup module by Robert Douglass.  We were going to do some
things w/ FBU back in March but did not get around to it.  It has
some pear package dependencies.  (side note - then again i think
there's a module to let you add pear package support to drupal w/o
needing to install on server itself.)

I think the idea of FBU is for backing up the /files/ directory which
has the potential for lots of new data on daily basis.

What if dbbackup could write to something in /files/dbbackup/ (and
maybe rotate out every week or X number days so you can keep a week's
worth of dbbackups locally, and then you have the module let you
backup /files/ and send it off to email/ftp/etc.?

I think this can be pretty valuable, esp. for where you don't have
backup routines setup server-wide (like w/ shared hosting) as well as
you could do one-click on-demand button to backup your entire site,
if you're about to try/test something  :)

sounds very handy.

On Nov 16, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Omar Abdel-Wahab wrote:

> 2. I have some features like:
>  -- scheduled backups
>  -- you can define multiple backup locations like:
>  	-- have them sent to your e-mail
>  	-- mirror your db to another mysql server to a specific db or
> 		create a new db for every backup
> 	-- stored on remote FTP
> 	-- a folder under files/ in your drupal

Ian Ward