[development] descrptive initial commit message, please

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Thu Nov 16 23:35:12 UTC 2006

On 14-Nov-06, at 2:37 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2006, at 18:59, Angela Byron wrote:
>>> when you commit a new module/theme, please write what it does in
>>> the initial commit message. thats a whole lot more useful than
>>> 'Adding history module', for example.
>>
>> Good stuff, Moshe.
>>
>> I've updated the Maintainer quick-start guide to recommend this:
>> http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/quickstart
>>
>> Before it was recommending "Adding X module." so this is likely my
>> fault. Sorry!
>
> Better yet, _always_ write descriptive commit messages.  At all
> times, keep in mind that people are tracking your projects by
> reading your commit messages -- either on the website, in their RSS
> feeds, or by e-mail.  Simply put: the quality of your commit
> messages determines how people perceive you and your projects ...

Absolutely! I'm sure I've probably been guilty of this in the past,
but having meaningful, well written commit messages is incredibly
helpful.

Also, as a reminder, if you use the syntax #XXXX (where XXXX is the
nid of the issue your commit closes/resolves) that will automatically
be linked by project.module back to the original issue thread. Please
remember to use this where applicable.

James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net