[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for new releases
darrenoh at sidepotsinternational.com
Wed Nov 22 02:56:27 UTC 2006
> Where's the difference between "a sites that updates itself" and
> "automatic upgrades"? I can't spot any.
Think about it. This is the process recommended in the manual:
1. Select the module you want to install or upgrade.
2. Download the module to your computer.
3. Unpack the module.
4. Start your FTP client.
5. Connect to your site.
6. Switch to the correct directory (whatever that is).
7. Upload the module directory to your site.
8. Enable the module (if installing) or run update.php (if upgrading).
Steps 2 through 8 would become one step. Automatic installation or
automatic upgrade seemed clear enough to me. What would you call it?
More information about the development